Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stuff Dreams are Made Of

Let's address some concerns with the program I have made:

Overtraining is probably the biggest concern, if my litmus test for my program is my ability to preform then overtraining is my downfall. Symptoms of overtraining include: headaches, pain in joints and muscles, general ill feeling, and a drop in preformance. Thusly, overtraining needs to be avoided at all costs. I would suggest for those that are worried that a 6 day on/1 day off schedule might be to much, they should look at micro-cycling: 3 days on, 1 day off.

Day 1 Crossfit and Metcon

Day 2 MEBB (Total Body, Upper Body, or Lower Body)

Day 3 Crossfit and Metcon

Day 4 Rest

I would suggest this schedule as well for off season athlete not in a preparatory phase or preconditioning phase of their sport. Reduce stress on the body is modest gains in the off season.

My First Day of the Experiment:

MEBB (Max Effort Black Box) - Total Body

Power Cleans 5,5,5,3,3,3 reps

5- 170lbs
5- 175 lbs
5- 180 lbs
3- 195 lbs
3- 200 lbs
3- Fail at 200 lbs

Strong first showing I think, with the limited equipment (no bumper plates and shitty bar) I was able to follow closely my plan and was able to test the waters. Where did the numbers come from?

The Prilepin Chart

%1RM.............Reps per Set.........Optimal Reps..........Rep Range

55-65.................. 3-6.................... 24 .................. 18-30

70-75.................. 3-6.....................18 .................. 12-24

80-85 ................. 2-4 ....................15....................10-20

90+ .................... 1-2 .................... 7 ................... 4-10

For Example: with a 5,5,5,3,3,3 rep scheme and a max of 200 lbs for a Power Clean and individal should be repping 70-75% of 200 (150 lbs) for their 5 reps and 80-85% for their 3 rep sets. Optimal reps factors in moreso for the Starting Strength rep schemes of 5x5 etc.

Modifications I have made already to experiment:

Tuesday is now MEBB Lower Body and Thursdays are now MEBB Total Body days. This works better with my training schedule at work and I then have access to bumper plates and equipment for the dynamic movements of Total Body Day

No comments:

Post a Comment